July 14th, 2013
- Max and Gothion are debriefing their churches about the demon.
- Kylie is investigating the city crime scene and tracking down someone in the underworld for Mr. Orrin.
- Becca, Verdantiel and Kaneth are “back at base” so to speak, working with Orrin to dump the loot and see about rewards.
- After that is done, Orrin asked the three of them to escort around a visitor.
M. Bruce Darby, was a refugee from Galt. Presented as a merchant and art dealer, he needed protection for the week. It turned out he was also a writer and his writings have been deemed “subversive” and he fled Galt before they killed him.
The group needed to guard him while he is in Almas for the week, until he left on one of Orrin’s ships for Absolam. Orrin is doing him a favor with the protection and is not getting paid.
Unknown to Orrin, or to anyone in Almas, Darby was scared because he had a stolen final blade in his care. His whole reason to go to Absolam is to talk to the wise on a way to destroy it, and release the trapped souls within.
[The blade was hidden in a painting, which has a concealed magical pocket, much like a portable hole. With the right command word (hidden in the text of the painting) you can literally reach into the painting and pull it out. The Blade is seen in the painting, hidden behind a box but peeking out (nothing can be put in the painting and totally obscured)]
- Young Girl Reading (magical painting)
- Women at a Pardon
- Taldor Army crossing the Mountains
- Defeat of a Devil by a young Hero
- Sunrise across the mountains with Avoral
The group guarded Darby as he went to market, and set up watch where he was staying in Mr. Orrin’s home. One night, local thugs attempted to climb into the building after setting a fire in the kitchen. The team easily drove them off. At this point, Verdantiel scanned the paintings for magic, and discovered the one was magical. The group confronted Darby, and the whole story came out.
Orrin decided to have Darby teleported to Absolom, and worked with the Eagle Knights to lay a trap. The party guarded a carriage with an Eagle Knight and when the attack came, they were easily captured. They were all local thugs hired by Galt.